Sunday, November 28, 2010

Health is wealth

You never realize how important health is until you fall sick.I was down with flu for two weeks and it was a miserable feeling.Coughing and have a weakened body with a loss of appetite made life so difficult.A blocked and running nose made sleeping difficult and many a night was spent tossing and turning.
The body is a wonderful piece of machinery and one just has to think of the many parts a body is made up of to realize the miracle that is in our body.That's why its important to take care of this machine in the best possible way.How? Every doctor will tell you,eat moderately, drink lots of water,avoid unhealthy food, have lots of rest and exercise and above all have peace of mind.We all know it yet how many of us follow such advice?Its only when you are sick that you begin to realize how important it is to keep healthy.
I had a number of medical experiences which made me realize that I want to avoid sickness.One was when I was a teenager and had to go for a hernia operation.I was operated on in a Batu Gajah hospital and spent about two weeks in the ward because I was not allowed to walk until the wound healed.The second was when I was attacked by Bell's Palsy a disease which attacked the nerves.Imagine the feeling when you wake up one morning and found that your mouth was crooked and your speech slurred.I was in my early forties at that time and the thought of being unable to work and support the family was frightening. Fortunately through a mix of Malay,Chinese and western medication and treatment I was cured and almost back to normal within a couple of months.
The latest was when I had to have a pacer put in my body because of irregular heartbeat.The operation though simple was frightening because every time you go under the operating theater you never know if you are coming out intact and to make matters worse the surgeon made a mistake the first time and had to redo the operation again.
Good health should never be taken for granted.Our body is precious and should never be abused by stress, late nights and over indulgence.A lifestyle of moderation and discipline would help you ensure that your body functions efficiently without you having to go through expensive and maybe painful medical treatment.There is a lot to be said about the old maxim "Prevention is better than cure".We tend to take too many things for granted but never lose track of the fact that good health does not happen just by itself..you have to take the necessary steps to bring it about!!!

2 comments: