Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Surviving at work (Part 2)

4) Going the extra mile.
To be the best in your position you need to have that little extras which would distinguish you from the mediocre.What are the extras? Initiative,proactive ,hardworking,focus and above all sensibility are some of the qualities which an outstanding staff will have.These traits will inevitably be noticed by the superiors in time to come but to be noticed is secondary>What is important is that we set our standards and live by them.This way ,we not only get self satisfaction but keep pushing ourselves to reach higher levels.
Look at some of the great people,they wake up early ,plan each hour in the day and little time is wasted in trivialities like gossip ,staring at the wall ,etc.
The road to the top is not easy but if we realise what it takes to get there we will get there one day.
When I was a teacher ,I wanted to be able to teach my subject well enough so that a percentage of my students got A s.That was my motivation and to achieve that I had to map out my strategy knowing that things dont just happen ,we got to make them happen and this can only be done through careful thought and strategies.
As school principal I wanted to make my school the best in academic achievement and the best in the extra curricular activities and more than anything to ensure that we produced the all rounded student,academically sound and morally strong.As a leader its no use if you yourself want this,the vision must be shared by your team ie the teachers,the students and parents.
In my lifetime career I had a number of firsts which I think one can be proud of:
1.I was the first Hons. graduate to work in schools in Teluk Intan.
2.I was the first non Brother to be appointed Head of a Mission School.
3.I was the first Headmaster who never served as an assistant Head first.In fact my promotion to headship was a double promotion.
4.I was the first non Malay District Education Officer in Perak and the last.
5.I was the first Chinese officer in the education dept. to be awarded the PMP by the Sultan of Perak.
6.I was the first and last Chinese Chief Inspector of Schools for the state of Perak.
These things did not happen by chance and it was some of the qualities which I mentioned earlier which got me there and looking back I think I have a track record which I can be proud of.
5.Your Image.
You must present an image commensurate with the position you hold.You may have simple tastes but in the world of work and business you would certainly need to project a certain standard in the way you dress and behave.People are very critical and they have certain expectations about how a person should look.When I was in the Inspectorate my friends described me as the best dressed officer from tie to shoes.And proud to say some of them even used me a s their role model.
Dressing to please oneself is one thing,dressing to the requirements of our status is another.Never be stereotyped in your dressing.Remember people are looking at you and you do not want to be known as so predictable when it comes to your dressing and professional image.I remember when I was with the Renong Group all senior officers had to be in coat and tie whenever we attended meetings outside and it spoke a lot for the image of the company.
Dressing should enhance your image and if you look at why the Chinese Emperors were dressed so lavishly you will realise that its because they wanted to present an aura of superiority.You certainly would think less of a person whose shirt is crumpled,tie a cheap one and shoes dirty looking.An impeccable dress image gains you a little bit more respectability and maybe credibility.
People are such they like to feel good just looking at you.
Being able to communicate at all levels is important and dont just talk because you have to say something .Be known as a chatterbox ,or empty vessel making alot of noise or as a person of few words is all up to you.
6.Interpersonal relationship.
be polite and courteous.It costs you nothing but can give you so much in return.Compliment your staff or colleague every now and then,it gives them that little extra to maybe go through a difficult day.If you need to reprimand do so in a diplomatic way.Tear them to pieces at the beginning if you need to but before they leave you make sure you restore their self esteem.Your tearing them to pieces will make them learn and your restoration will give them the motivation to become better.
Working life is full of challenges and you cannot avoid meeting and dealing with all types of people.Understanding people,knowing yourself and keeping track of your own work objectives will make your work so much more fun and enjoyable.Learn to keep work in the office and be able to switch off when you leave the place of work.There was a joke about a husband and wife team who were said to discuss business plans and strategies at home during dinner and before sleeping until their children told them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment