Thursday, November 11, 2010

Unpredictability of life .

Life can be very strange but it shows that the future is unpredictable que sera sera (whatever will be will be).Never would I have imagined years ago that today I would be sitting down typing on the computer.When I was a principal we were sent for computer courses but at the end of it none of us learned anything and we thought since we have our clerks and secretaries there was no need for us to learn.The first time I actually used the computer was when I was sent for a course in Stanford University USA.We had to do a 2500 min.word assignment and it had to be type written.We thought we could get one of the students to do it but the amount we had to pay was too high and we had no choice but to do it ourselves.Days and nights were spent struggling with the one finger typing but finally mission impossible accomplished.
Never did I think that I would spend more than a year working overseas but when I retired I was offered a job in Uzbekistan and because the money was good and needed I accepted.It turned out to be a great experience and an opportunity to live in a central Asian country was something else>I had good friends there amongst the Uzbeks and the Malaysian community and learnt alot about life under difficult circumstances which I guess in some respect changed my outlook in life.Surviving under hardship gave you the opportunity to learn more about yourself.The worst part was the cold winter nights spent alone by yourself in a cold apartment.Time was so difficult to pass so we had to find alternatives to keep occupied.
One of these things was cooking your own dinner which I had never done before and it turned out to be quite fun though the washing up was dreadful.
Having served in Tashkent I would have thought that it would be the last time I worked overseas.Suddenly in 2000 my nephew Suan Loong came to see me for help in an English learning centre which he was setting up with a friend in Xiamen China.Being retired at that time mum and I decided it was a good opportunity so we accepted and off we went to Xiamen.Another unexpected development.
After that I thought that would be the end so for a year a half mum and I enjoyed retired life in Ipoh.Then in early 2002, from out of the blue SB Cheah called me and asked me to help him set up his hostel in KL.? again? and why KL ?I had wanted to avoid KL right from the early days preferring to work in smaller towns and now in my twilight years why me?I tried to turn him down but SB had his ways and soon after New Year in 2002 we were in KL.Would I ever imagine working with my nephew and in KL at the age of 62?Most people would be happily retired by this age.Mum had something to say "You have been working for the family all your life ,now you can work just for the two of us!"words of wisdom which I accepted and till today I'm in KL and still working at the age of 70.I have decided that as long as I am still wanted I will continue to work because education is not just a job but also a vocation and as long as I can contribute why not?
Of course deep down I know mum and i yearn to be back in Ipoh but we have our children and grandchildren here and we shall have to make our little sacrifices.But being close and accessible to the children and grandchildren is something which we treasure and are blessed with.It might be good to be in Ipoh but just the two of us might pose some unforeseen problems like what if one of us were sick and one cannot leave the other alone.So we decided to count our blessings,after all we can always go back for the weekends though driving back can be quite a strain especially in the night or late evenings when it rains.
At 70 I would never had expected to be able to chat on line with my kids and be writing on this blog.Point to note ,the future cannot be foreseen and you never know what to expect but if you live a good life ,practise some of life's precious values ,do no evil you will definitely be blessed.

1 comment:

  1. hey u forgot your years in Malacca..in that big house on the campus. A lot of our weekend getaways were spent there..those were good times!

    ReplyDelete