Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Living with diabetes

I had been diagnosed with high sugar level in my blood.It is not something unexpected as my dad was diabetic.We only realised this after his retirement when he was eating well but losing weight.The issue was complicated by the fact he had stomach ulcers.
Knowing that one has a high sugar level puts one on the alert and hopefully with awareness the necessary precautions can be taken.
My doctor prescribed insulin injections which I refused to take as I do not want to be dependent on it for the rest of my life.The thought of jabbing yourself everyday is certainly unacceptable.I prefer to take the medication and go on a low sugar diet which means forgoing all sweet stuff like ice cream,chocolates ,cakes and all sorts of pastries and also a reduction of rice and noodles.
This coupled with exercise and lots of plain water should help control the sugar level.I cant imagine that at one time I was suffering from low sugar level,the symptoms of which are that your skin would itch whenever you face cold weather.The appearance of the high sugar level is probably due to unhealthy eating habits or hereditary of which nothing can be done.
To live with diabetes means that one has to forgo a lot of yummy sweet stuffs but through self control this should'nt be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment