Friday, January 14, 2011

The Rain- something to touch you

It was a busy morning at 8.30am when an elderly gentleman in his eighties arrived to have some stitches removed from his thumb.He said he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9.I took his vital signs and asked him to take a seat.I noticed he kept looking anxiously at his watch and guessed he must really have an important appointment.
I took pity on him and decided to remove the stitches for him so he could keep his appointment.While doing this I asked him if he had another appointment with another doctor as he looked so tense.The gentleman said actually he had to go to a nursing home to have his daily breakfast with his wife.I inquired about her health and he told me she had been there for a while and was suffering from Alzheimer's disease.I asked if she would be upset if he were a bit late.He replied that she no longer knew who he was as she had not been able to recognize him for the past five years.
I was surprised and asked him " And you still go there every morning even though she does not know who you are?" He patted my hand and with a sad smile said" She does'nt know me but I still know who she is !"
I had to hold back my tears as he left and said" this is the kind of love I want in my life".True love is an acceptance of all that is,has been will be and will not be"
We are all growing old...tomorrow may be our turn...
I like this little story as it shows how much a person can love another and be with that person through thick and thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment