Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mum's birtday

In a few days on the 27th Jan mum will be 65.Wow ,cant imagine she has touched the mid sixties and that we have spent more than 40 years of our lives together.She was a sweet simple girl when I met her.We taught in the same school,she in the primary and me in the secondary.What struck me about her was her cheerful demeanor and bubbling personality ( She still has this today ).It was strange but we got along fine right at the beginning and our first real date was at my landlady's daughter's birthday.I walked her home after the party and I guess that was where it all started.
Today at 65 she is still that special kind of lady whom everyman dreams of.She has always been my pillar ,in good times and bad times.She is a great homemaker and made sure that everyone had a home to come back to.She was the one who made me see things I could not see and made me a better person.No sacrifice was too great for her ,the children were her life and death and she would do anything to shelter and protect them from any harm.I have always noticed that she would leave the best part of all food for us,she would eat the fish head and leave the fleshy part to us, she would make herbal drinks and let everyone except herself drink.
She never had much when she was young,her father left them when they were very young and she being the elder sister who stayed at home looked after the mother and two and later 3 younger brothers.She learned to be independent at an early age and so self sacrificing for the sake of her family.It's sad that the two younger brothers who are now doing well never think of her and reciprocate .
At her golden age ,yet more sacrifices she has to make,looking after Kyra and then Aaron.She would so much more prefer to spend her times with the 'Thais thais" but set this aside for the sake of our daughter and grandchild.She always tells me that she could not imagine how the daughter would survive without her.All this because of the motherly love which she has for all her children.Who knows how she feels when Imn decided to be overseas? As a mother she always wanted all her children by her side but when Imn made her choice she gave her wholehearted support but in her hearts of hearts I know how she feels.Yet to the children this was never shown .
Today in her golden years I never comment on what she does or want to do with her friends.When she wants to travel I give my support and I make sure that financially she is ok but emotionally its not me alone who can support her ,children and in laws should give her the support she needs at times.She is not avaricious ,what she needs are simple "thank you" and small gestures of appreciation now and then and she will say "Its all worth it "
To me this is one woman whom I would cherish always and I made the right choice when I married her and if I have to do it all over again I would for there is no other person I would want to spend my life with !

No comments:

Post a Comment