Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Luck,fate or destiny?

Looking back on the past 50 plus years or so I cant help but feel someone got my life planned out for me.When I finished my Sixth Form Exam I was wondering what to do till the results came out some time in March.By the end of 1959 Prof.Khoo Kay Kim a neighbour and friend left his post as History teacher in St.Anthony's Teluk Intan and as he felt bad leaving the school he asked me if I was interested.I jumped at the opportunity and accepted the offer as there was nothing for me at the moment.Started work as a Form 5 History teacher at the age of 19.I was not much older than my students but it was a challenging experience.I needed the job as i wanted to go to the University.
Results came out and I scored 4 Principal Passes (Those days no A or B grade) which was really good by those days standards.What next?A lot of my classmates went on to the university but I could not as dad could not afford it.It was heartbreaking to be left behind but looking at the bright side the Headmaster,Bro.Denis understood my problem and said I could teach in the school till I saved enough money.After 1 1/2 years I had quite enough to enter the University but I was one year late and most of my classmates were in their second year when I went in .It was good as they could advise and guide me as they were seniors.
Life in the U was totally different but managed to adapt>But during the final semester my money ran out so what to do? I had no choice but to talk to my lecturer Ungku Aziz and he scolded me for giving up so easily and said it was a good thing I saw him or I would have made the most stupid decision to leave.He immediately arranged a loan for me from the Uni on the condition that I paid back after my graduation.That was settled and immediately after graduation I went back to St.Anthony's to teach and monthly paid off the loan.
After 2 years Bro.Alban the headmaster called me up and asked me if I really wanted to teach and I said "Yes".He then said "Go and get your Diploma in Education" so that you cane be a fully qualified teacher.So off I went to UM again and got my teacher qualification in 1967 and continued to teach in the same school till 1977 when unexpectedly I was promoted to be Headmaster.I was at 37 one of the youngest non Malay Heads and thought well I am quite contented and should retire as a Headmaster.But again ,fate or destiny took over.After 5 years I received a call from the Education Dept. in Ipoh and I was told to report to Ipoh as the District Education Officer for Kinta.This was most unexpected and actually unwanted because I never dreamed I would go beyond being a headmaster .Now suddenly I was to be the Head of Education for one big district.
I served in Kinta for 11 years and then again I was told I was to be transferred to Sitiawan as the District Education Officer.Again an unexpected happening for I never thought that the Manjung District would be headed by a non Malay.
In Manjung for two years and then suddenly an old golfing friend Dr.Hanafi got me back to Ipoh again as the Chief Inspector of Schools for Perak again the first non Malay to hold that post.
Came 1995 and I retired having reached the age of 55 and I was wondering what next?The twins still had to go to college and on to University and we were wondering how to afford it.Again some divine interference?My old friend Rozalli Noordin who was the Director of Education for the Renong group offered my a job in Tashkent,Uzbekistan.Never even heard of the place but I had to work and if so anywhere in the world would do.Off I went to Tashkent for more than a year.It was tough there as the summer was really hot and the winter so cold but I survived.I thought I would spend some time there but after one year I was called back to look after Kolej Yayasan Saad in Melaka as the top management all resigned and they needed someone to hold the fort.So one year in melaka and then the Renong group was building a A level college in Lembah Beringin and Rozalli wanted me in the project team and I was in KL .
After the college was ready in 1999 I was posted there to look after admi/hr/finance and finally at the age of 60 I retired???It was then back to Ipoh and there was then only mum and me .The twins were on the way to Canada.Life as a retiree was good and stress free and we thought that would be it but sometime in 2001 Suan Loong came and asked me to help him with his college in Xiamen ,China.So again mum and I packed up and off we went to Xiamnen.It was a good experience and while I worked mum enjoyed herself exploring the city.
Back after a month's stint it was back to Ipoh,golf and mahjong until in early 2002 got a call from SB Cheah asking me to help him in the hostel which he was putting up.I initially said no as I was already 62 and the thought of working in KL was not attractive.But SB has his way 'You just come for 1 year " and after that you can go back to Ipoh.Mum encouraged me and finally I said ok but lo and behold I was in KL till the hostel was sold and the new owner wanted me to continue which I did till Help University asked me to manage their hostel and I am here to this very day.
On reflection ,I was lucky.Jobs came my way when I most needed them and I had a good career everywhere.
Is it fate or providence that I must continue to work??I have since decided that there is no retirement for me.I love the work and the challenges which it brings and as long as I can continue to do so why not??

2 comments: