Friday, June 18, 2010

Crazy golfers

Thursday three of my golf kakis from Ipoh decided to come down and whack the old man.We fixed the venue at Tasik Putri Golf course near Rawang .It was a long drive from Ipoh but the thought of slaughtering me was enough motivation.
We teed off at 9 am .The weather was beautiful ,cloudy and cool.The tee boxes were dragged far behind and it was terribly long from tee box to green.My friends were delighted as they all hit further than me a fact which I have grown to accept but I told myself " play your own game ,go for the bogeys and they have to play par to beat you"
Thus mentally strengthened I played and played and through 18 holes ended up a small winner.I thought after 18 holes that was the end of the day but NO......One of them said "I cannot stand the thought of having lost to an old man!Cant drive back man!"
So he suggested we one more round at Lembah Beringin about 1/2 hour drive away.That decided we drove there and managed to get a flight.When we arrived at the first tee imagine my delight when the tee boxes were in front and the course was dry.My advantage cos their length was not much an advantage now.We had a close fight until the last hole where everything was to be decided and lo and behold I played a BIRDIE on that hole.You should see their faces.....To me it was the joy of beating the younger people and on the 27th hole.That money cannot buy!
Lessons learnt:
1.As a friend you always follow the crowd to a reasonable extent.Any old man would say no to one more round of golf but seeing they came from so far I had to make them happy.
2.Never say die even though the odds are against you.Your mental strength in the things you do will carry you to unreachable and unimaginable heights.Life is full of set backs but what distinguishes the man from the mouse is how the man faces setbacks and overcomes them.
3.When you play anything dont be afraid of losing.I always congratulate my friends when they beat me'You played well ,I did not so you deserve to win".Words like this go a long way in making people happy!

1 comment: