Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Being independent

Mom and I have learned that even at this age its best not to depend on anybody as many a time dependence only creates frustration and disappointment.Many a time I have ,through no choice , asked for simple things to be done but sadly its either "wait, till I'm ready " or conveniently forgotten.So in order to avoid frustration its better to do it yourself even though it means lifting heavy things. Mom is so independent that its unbelievable and for her age she is happily gallivanting all over the place without asking for help.She says its better to depend on oneself rather than others who may give all sorts of excuses and worse still just ignore you.I am still happily driving nearly 200 km up and down Ipoh and as long as I can do it I will do it and not ask anyone to do the driving for me.Mum and I will manage by ourselves for as long as we can as its our norm to depend on ourselves. Of late suddenly she has been thinking off the beaten track like asking me "Do you trust your daughter ?" Knowing her , i knew there will be something more to this and when I asked her why and told her "Of course I trust my daughter " she said " enough to put your house in her name ?"I said that is no issue and then she said "Look , we are getting old and its time we started getting things in place". I saw the wisdom of her words and her consideration for the family as always and I would happily go along with whatever she decides.Then it struck me "What happens if one of us goes first ? What would happen to the other ?" We talked about this and both of us have our plans in the eventuality that one has to go first. With that I guess both of us have peace of mind and hopefully can just depend on each other.Experience has told us that at the end of the day we two old folks will be ok as long as we have each other as we are relatively healthy , financially independent and above all logistically independent.Even though it means a bit of body ache I would rather drive up and down myself rather than to ask for help as the asking may be "rewarded" by frustration and disappointment.Looking at he young people today we cant help but compare them with us when we were that age.Offering to help with some inconvenience to oneself should never be a problem but I just wonder how many young people today would set aside their own time and convenience for the benefit of others ? Mum is a great example of motherly love and sacrifices made for the family.She happily looks after the family and the grandchildren but is there any reciprocal ?There are many things which can be done for her..its up to us to think of what and if we are caring and considerate enough we will see the many ways to help her.I shall not spell this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment