Monday, September 30, 2013

A senior's lifestyle

As you grow older your life and you yourself undergo changes.For one thing we have less demands , be it for food, travel or other worldly needs.What you need to do ,you have practically done and most importantly you find that you can go to bed at night without worrying about the so many things which young people have to worry about. Job wise there is no longer the need or drive to climb the job ladder.You enjoy the privilege of being able to say " If you think I cant perform , sack me for I'm just working for the heck of it and I work as long as I'm happy". A big privilege indeed . Our basic needs have become more simple , food is no longer something to be fussed about.We eat what is on the table and if we should eat out, convenience is the main factor.I remember those days when we could only eat out once a month when dad got his salary and it was not in any fancy restaurant.But it was family and that kind of family outing meant a lot. I like to think of myself as a 'Kampong boy " forced to live in the city.There is nothing better than to have a meal of sambal belachan , salt fish and lots of green chillies.Give me this and I will anytime trade them for sharks fins,lobsters or abalone.we used to enjoy such meals within the family and though the food which my mum cooked up was simple , it was nevertheless so tasty and satisfying to the palate. With aging comes the need for less food and less materialistic needs.recently I bought a new golf club and before buying it was really indecisive as to whether I should or not until a good friend asked me : 1. Can you afford it ? 2.Are you using someone's money to buy it ? and the most interesting question :" How many more years do you think you can enjoy the game ?"That's it and I happily bought the club and was quite at peace with myself doing it and of course I told myself I should buy myself a good Xmas present.Today its no longer a question of this vs this because of limited financial resources.Its more question of why not ?. In Kl weekdays are quite routine , wake up , clean up and have breakfast at the kopitiam and then off to work.After lunch its just looking around the office , a word or two to the staff and its back home to spend some time with the little fella and then at 6 off to fetch the other grandson back from school.Then its shower and back to the bedroom to watch my dvds until around 10pm and then off to bed. Weekends are days to look forward to as it means golf and little family dinners which as you grow older take on new meanings. Unlike many other oldies my age I feel that I'm still able to contribute and keep learning new things to keep up with the times and not be too much of a dinosaur.I pad, I phone, internet banking , e mail ,power point are things which I am picking up.I believe you are never too old to learn and you must never be too proud to ask and hear remarks like " aiyooo ,so simple also you dont know?".Never be too proud to ask and never be too dumb as not to listen.Man can always improve and there is nothing that says you cannot do things if you grow older.Of course old people have their physical limitations which we have to accept. Growing old is a normal phenomenon and we have to just come to grips with it to find that your golden years can really be golden,

No comments:

Post a Comment