Monday, July 2, 2012

My students

Recently a student whom I taught in 1965 came back from Canada and the rest of the classmates organised a dinner for him in KL.Never would I have imagined decades ago the I would sit down with them and have dinner together>Though it was such a long time that I taught them I can still remember them clearly as they were good students so its not surprising that many of them turned out to be successful people and what made me particularly proud was that they all spoke good English and one guy thanked me for that as I was their English teacher.Proficiency in the language has take them far and wide and they told me that because their English is good they could speak with confidence at all levels.One of them became a writer for an English newspaper and I remembered that he used to write good essays and his hand writing was always neat and clear. As teachers we had the pleasure of coming across bright students and realising this we not only gave them the academic knowledge but also subtly within our lessons taught them lessons in life so that they become academically good and morally sound thus growing up to be fine upright individuals.Looking at many of them that night it makes me proud that in some way or other we have helped shape them to what they are today.This is what makes me proud to be a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment