Friday, May 2, 2014

Challenge

In two weeks time I would have retired from Government service for 20 years and should be at an age when most people would take it easy , going for walks, yam cha, and be involved in the pursuit of one's hobbies be it gardening , cooking , watching TV , reading books or spending time with the grandchildren .But it looks that this man is going to on and on working. I have retired from the govt. but never stopped working and not likely to do so as only yesterday a big time investor from Hong Kong came to see me and talked to me about a piece of land which he just acquired.He plans to build a hostel and has asked me to be his consultant from planning to operation .This offer which if I accept will take me down the road for at least another 5 years and I'm just wondering if I can last that long.?.It will be for sure a challenging work as it will require a lot of planning and also leg work .Planning work is not an issue but what worries me is the leg work.It will mean site visits, climbing up unfinished staircases and survey the whole building as it comes out.Am I physically fit ? I would like to believe that I am but as one ages the ravages of time catch up.You get tired easily, become forgetful and generally become slower whether you realize it, accept it or not.Its not really for the money but more of being able to take a challenge and show the world that there is no age limit to what a person can do. I certainly would not want to be like some of the seniors whom I know, loafing around really doing nothing despite the fact that they can still be productive .Its just that they think conservatively , that if you reach 60 you must retire and not work anymore.I always like to challenge the norm and show that one can always go the extra mile if one sets his mind to do so. Question is how many extra miles can we go ?

No comments:

Post a Comment